Welcome to “Artist Spotlight”, our regular feature where you get to know the artists we work with.
Jérémy Pailler is a french illustrator and animation filmmaker. His first animated short film, “Gerdas Vej”, has been screened in multiple film festivals in the world and won prizes from Venezuela and the United States. He proposes a singular mix between his practice of ink painting and his taste for animated narrative forms. He also works on a fine art PHD in a laboratory in Toulouse.
1) Talk us through your process for creating The Circus.
I started by watching the film, trying to capture the atmosphere, to understand the motivations of the characters. Then I did some sketches and developed one of them. I tried to create a picture as poetic as possible, featuring many elements from a classical Circus. I hand painted the picture with colored inks, then scanned the final result. I hand painted the title and added it to the artwork digitally, along with the credits.
2) How old were you when you started illustrating and what did you create?
I've always drawn but I started illustration per say when I was 21. I drew things mainly inspired by fairy tales and Greek mythology.
3) What is the coolest thing a fan has done for you?
A man tweeted about the "IT" poster I designed for Warner Bros that it made him feel happy the way Drew Struzan's posters used to do. That was a pretty cool compliment.
4) What are your top three movies?
Thelma & Louise / Fried Green Tomatoes / Edward Scissorhands.
5) What is your favorite pastime and why?
Walking in nature.
6) What would be your one superpower and why?
I'd love to hear what people think and won't say out loud. I guess it's a dangerous power but it would be fascinating.
7) Which artist(s) inspire you?
John Alvin, Rebecca Dautremer & Gustaf Tenggren.
8) What is the one thing that keeps you going?
Believing that all my professional dreams will come true at some point.
9) If you were not an artist, what career would you have pursued and why?
Acting! But that's another art form so...
10) Do you have any words of wisdom for artists starting out?
The only word that comes to my mind and that will always be relevant is perseverance.
Jeremy Pailler's piece for The Circus is available in our shop here.